Easy Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
Easy, delicious, and versatile, this slow cooker balsamic chicken recipe is a crowd pleaser and is diet friendly for low carb and keto diets and also has a lean meat option for WW and Optavia followers.
This recipe is a Dined and Dashed Level 1 recipe, which means it takes 15 minutes or less to prepare and the cooking process couldn’t be easier.
I love my slow cooker. Being able to toss food into a small appliance before work and come home to delicious smells and amazing flavor makes it an indispensable tool for people who work outside the home. It saves a ton of time and makes prep and cleanup super quick and easy.
Slow cookers come in many varieties, the most well-known is the Crock-Pot brand slow cooker. They pretty much invented the slow cooker and have excellent options for every budget.
I have a Black+Decker slow cooker that works great too. I have to admit that I bought it because it was pretty. But it’s held up well. I bought it in May of 2017 and it’s still going strong.
- Built-In Lid Holder - Keep countertops clean and stir & serve without holding the lid! The built-in holder props the lid conveniently on either of the side handles
- Cool-Touch Handles - The slow cooker’s plastic side and lid handles stay cool during cooking for easy maneuvering, even when the crock is full of delicious food
- Removable Stoneware Crock - The durable 7-quart crock retains heat and is easy to clean
- 7 Quarts - Make a hot meal for the whole family with room for over 8 servings. Dishwasher-Safe Parts - Cleanup is a breeze with the dishwasher-safe crock and lid
- Tempered Glass Lid: Keep an eye on your food while it cooks without lifting the l
Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
When it comes to slow cookers, it seems like anything goes, but sometimes I do have questions about what I can and can’t do with a slow cooker. Before you make this slow cooker balsamic chicken recipe, it might be good to check out some of the frequently asked questions about slow cookers and chicken.
Can you put raw chicken in the slow cooker?
In short, you can absolutely put raw chicken in the slow cooker. That’s kind of the point of it, that it saves you a ton of time because you can toss all of your raw ingredients in the pot and let it do its magic.
How long should you cook chicken in a slow cooker?
The length of time you cook chicken in a slow cooker depends on what type of chicken and what dish you are making. Chicken breasts take longer to cook than chicken thighs. In general you can cook chicken on low for 5-7 hours (and internal temperature reaches 165 degrees) and on high for 3-4 hours.
Do you have to brown chicken before putting it in a slow cooker?
You do not have to brown chicken before putting it in a slow cooker. But you can! If you want a crispy, seared piece of chicken that helps lock in moisture, it’s not necessarily a bad thing to do. But it will add time to your cooking process and isn’t necessary.
Can you put chicken in foil in slow cooker?
Some people use foil to line their slow cooker for easier cleaning. The foil would only be on the bottom and the sides, the chicken itself would sit ON the foil, not IN the foil. There is some concern about the safety of cooking in aluminum foil in general, so you may want to skip it, especially because it’s not necessary.
Can you use chicken breasts instead of thighs in slow cooker?
Of course you can! In this recipe or in others, you can absolutely cook chicken breasts in a slow cooker. I like to toss a couple of chicken breasts in with a jar of salsa verde for super easy and delicious chicken tacos.
Ingredients needed for this slow cooker balsamic chicken recipe:
This recipe is fairly straightforward and has a lot of room for experimentation and creative flair. It doesn’t need it, but you could absolutely change it up to your liking.
You can scroll to the bottom for the full printable recipe with measurements/quantities and instructions.
- Bone-in skin on chicken thighs
- Balsamic vinegar (flavored vinegar could be a fun option)
- Italian seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Minced garlic
How to prepare this balsamic chicken recipe in a Crock-Pot:
It really is amazing how easy it is to make this slow cooker balsamic chicken recipe. It’s going to become a staple in your meal planning because it’s not only delicious, it is a snap to make.
- Add salt and pepper to chicken thighs.
- Put chicken thighs in slow cooker.
- Combine all other ingredients.
- Pour over chicken.
- Turn on slow cooker.
- Don’t lift a finger until its done.
The cook time for this recipe is around 4 hours on high and 6-8 hours on low. It really shouldn’t hurt to cook it longer, you just may find that the meat totally falls off the bone the longer you cook it.
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
- 1 Small mixing bowl
- 6 pieces chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker
- In small bowl, mix together all of the remaining ingredients
- Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker
- Set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours
- Serve with veggies or a side of cauliflower rice
Short on time to prep dinner? Toss all of the ingredients for this slow cooker balsamic chicken into your Crock-Pot before and have a delicious meal waiting for you when you get home.
Connect with us!
If you made this recipe, we’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below. Let us know if you made any substitutions and/or have any recommendations for us. Also, don’t miss a Dined and Dashed recipe – make sure you follow us on Pinterest.