Elevate your macaroni and cheese game with this mouthwatering three cheese mac and cheese recipe. Perfect for a cozy night in or a special occasion.
Looking for a delicious and indulgent mac and cheese recipe that will impress your guests or satisfy your comfort food cravings? Look no further than this gourmet three cheese mac and cheese recipe, featuring a blend of rich and flavorful cheeses that will take your taste buds to the next level.
This recipe is a Dined and Dashed Level 2 recipe, which means it takes 30 minutes or less to prepare and isn’t a challenge for an average weekday. If you use pre-shredded cheese, then this would easily be a Level 1 recipe.
Let’s face it, macaroni and cheese is the absolute ultimate comfort food. The cheesy goodness is just good for the soul. But sometimes you want to take this perfect side dish to the next level, and this version of a three cheese mac and cheese does just that. It elevates macaroni and cheese from a side dish to a main dish just because of the choice of cheese.
Why make this three cheese macaroni and cheese?
- It is a delicious and cheesy dish that is perfect for a family dinner or a special occasion.
- It is made with three different types of cheese, which gives it a rich and complex flavor.
- It is an easy recipe to make, and can be prepared in just a few steps.
- It is a great way to use up leftover pasta.
- It can be customized to your liking by adding different toppings, such as bacon, chives, or roasted red peppers.
- It is a great way to feed a crowd.
What three cheeses go well together for macaroni and cheese?
For this gourmet three cheese mac and cheese recipe, we recommend using Swiss cheese, Gruyere cheese, and Asiago cheese. The Asiago cheese adds a classic flavor and creaminess, while the Gruyere cheese adds a nutty and slightly sweet flavor. The Swiss cheese adds a sharp and salty flavor that complements the other two cheeses perfectly. Together, these three cheeses create a delicious and indulgent mac and cheese dish that is sure to impress.
Gather your ingredients
Before you start cooking, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients for this gourmet three cheese mac and cheese recipe. Make sure to measure out your ingredients beforehand to ensure a smooth cooking process.
- elbow macaroni
- unsalted butter
- all purpose flour
- whole milk
- heavy cream
- garlic powder
- white wine
- Swiss cheese
- Gruyere cheese
- Asiago cheese
Make the cheese sauce
While you cook macaroni per the package directions, you will want to make the cheese sauce. This is where the magic happens!
To make the cheese sauce for this gourmet three cheese mac and cheese recipe, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium or medium-low heat on the stove top. Then whisk flour in to the melted butter to create a roux. Gradually add in milk and cream to the butter mixture, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
Once the milk is fully incorporated and the mixture is thickened, add in the wine and the seasonings. Then gradually add the shredded/grated Swiss cheese, Gruyere cheese, and Asiago cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
Pour the cheese sauce over cooked pasta, garnish with a bit of parsley for a pop of color, and serve!
Tips and tricks for the perfect three cheese mac and cheese
- For best results, use high-quality ingredients, such as whole milk, Gruyère cheese, and Asiago cheese.
- Don’t overcook the macaroni noodles. They should be cooked al dente, or slightly firm to the bite.
- Make sure the cheese sauce is thick and creamy before adding to the cooked macaroni.
- Instead of pre-shredded cheese, shred or grate your own from a block of cheese. Rotary cheese graters like the one below make quick work of it!
Baked three cheese macaroni and cheese
An option for finishing this recipe is to bake it in a preheated oven after combining the noodles and the cheese. It will add a bit to the cooking time, but will allow you to add a even more gourmet touch with panko bread crumbs to the top of it. I’d use about 1/2 cup of them spread over the top (for the 2 serving option) and cook for around 15 minutes at 350 degrees or until browned on top.
Best Ever Gourmet Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
- 4 oz. dried elbow macaroni
- 1-1/2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1-1/2 oz flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. white wine
Freshly grated cheeses:
- 1-1/2 oz Swiss Cheese
- 1-1/2 oz Gruyere Cheese
- 1 oz Asiago Cheese
Prepare macaroni per instructions on package.
While pasta cooks, make your sauce as follows:
- Make roux. (melt butter in sauce pan, add flour, stir.)
- Add milk and cream to the roux, stirring over heat. Bring to a boil and thicken.
- Add seasonings and wine.
- Gradually mix in grated cheese to melt.
Drain pasta. Stir sauce over cooked noodles. Serve hot.
What to serve with three cheese mac and cheese
Three cheese mac and cheese is a rich and indulgent dish that pairs well with a variety of dishes. For a balanced meal, consider serving it with a simple green salad dressed with a tangy vinaigrette. Roasted vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or asparagus also complement the creamy, cheesy flavors of the mac and cheese. For a heartier meal, add some protein like grilled chicken or shrimp on top of the mac and cheese. And don’t forget a glass of your favorite wine or beer to round out the meal.
If you aren’t serving this as the main dish, serve it as a side dish with any of the following: